Bridging the Distance
Remote system control, despite its complexity, is worth it

Remote system programming used to mean using a keypunch machine outside the data center. But card decks still needed to get to the clunky 2540 or equivalent unit record device. Maybe we had a key or door code to do this ourselves, or maybe we handed it to an operator. Then, 3270-style devices allowed for increased distance—and hike—to and from our systems. Finally, networked terminals and workstations made location irrelevant. Whether in an office or working from home, z Systems programmers/administrators can now work from the next office, building, city, time zone or continent.

But should this be happening? Do today's system programmers need physical access to data centers? Why or why not? Does being able to see and touch one's systems hold real value, or is it just a matter of professional pride? And to what extent is it practical to have a lack of immediacy to data centers, operations staff, users or matters?

http://destinationz.org/Mainframe-Solution/Business-Case/Bridging-the-Distance

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, inc.g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433