John,
Thanks for answering my question.  Just to let you know that I did a REPRO from
VSAM to VSAM.

      From: John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
 To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
 Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 11:36 AM
 Subject: Re: LISTCAT QUESTION - TEMP-EXP

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:33 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 10:21 AM, esmie moo <0000012780d99c7b-dmarc-
> requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
>> Gentle Readers,
>> i have a question about TEMP-EXP which appears on a LISTCAT of the HSM
>> BCDS.  I did a REPRO to a test BCDS  however when I run the LISTCAT of the
>> Prod version (so as to compare the TEST & PROD. allocations) it shows
>> TEMP-EXP in the ATTRIBUTES section of the DATA & INDEX components.According
>> to the the explanation of TEMP-EXP it says "The data component was
>> temporarily exported"
>> Is my assumption that the REPRO function is the same as EXPORT? Also,
>> should I be concerned that LISTCAT indicates that a TEMP-EXP had occurred?
>> I welcome all your thoughts.  Thanks.
>>

> ​No. REPRO basically results in a physical sequential file which contains
> only data. That data is, generally, readable by, say, a COBOL program with
> the proper record description. In fact, it could use the same "copybook" as
> it would for the VSAM data set, assuming the VSAM data set is a KSDS, ESDS,
> or RRDS being read sequentially.
>
> OTOH, the output from an EXPORT would not be (easily) readable as if it
> were a PS data set because it contains VSAM "meta" information so that an
> IMPORT could recreate both the "schema" (i.e. do an IDCAMS DEFINE) and
> import the data.
>
> Basically, I use REPRO​

​Sorry, damn Windows (any fingers). I use REPRO when I want to unload the
data so that it can be read by something which cannot process VSAM. Such as
to do an ftp. Or to use a UNIX language such as AWK or PERL to read it. I
use EXPORT when I want to transfer the data to another z/OS system where I
want to restore the VSAM data as VSAM. Well, any more, I really use ADRDSSU
+ AMATERSE to transport data from z/OS to z/OS. But still, ... .​