On 26 April 2017 at 21:15, Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-
requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> >Not explicitly. But I can't imagine a product the customer knows is going
> >to run as a z/OS started task with significant performance requirements is
> >going to decide to put a transaction-containing file on an NFS server on a
> >Linux box across the country. Nor, for that matter, are they going to make
> >it a temporary file.

[That didn't exactly come out unconfused, did it...I guess the gist of it
came across]

> SVC 99, I'd be less certain:
> o A socket can have a descriptor.
> o DYNALLOC can allocate to PATH('/dev/fd/'descriptor).  I've done this
>   with unnamed pipes created after step initiation; never tried with
> sockets.

It's not just the allocation, but the access methods. Are you going to open
your socket with QSAM? VSAM? EXCP? The  $$$$ Media Manager?

> Are you suggesting that SVC 99 can allocate only objects that could as
> well have been allocated with JCL?

I don't think the list is much if at all different. Certainly there are
DYNALLOC *keys* that don't have a match in JCL, but those are mostly for
returning values. Are there different object types? I don't know.

(Things that can be allocated with JCL but not with DYNALLOC include passed
> data sets.  Probably.)

There are some DYNALLOC keys missing for things that are inherently batch
JCLy; DD DDNAME= and of course DD * or DATA, and one or two others.

Tony H.