Am 12.05.2017 um 00:08 schrieb John McKown:
On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Bernd Oppolzer <bernd.oppol...@t-online.de>
wrote:

Yes, of course. I detected the error when I looked at
my piece of software from last year which examined the different LE heaps.

and: thank you, Allan Kielstra, for the clarification regarding Reg 12;
so my call to the ASSEMBLER function to get the address of the CEECAA will
work?

Here is the ASSEMBLER program which returns the registers (especially reg
12)
to the C program:

MDV9970  CSECT
MDV9970  AMODE 31
MDV9970  RMODE ANY
*
*        UNTERPROGRAMM ZUR ERMITTLUNG DER
*        AKTUELLEN REGISTERSTAENDE UND ABLAGE
*        IN EINEN C-BUFFER (DER ALS PARAMETER
*        UEBERGEBEN WIRD). ZWECK DER UEBUNG:
*        ZUGRIFF AUF CEECAA (COMMON ANCHOR AREA VOM LE)
*        UND DAMIT AUF ANYHEAP UND BELOWHEAP
*        BERND OPPOLZER / AUGUST 2016
*
R0       EQU   0
R1       EQU   1
R2       EQU   2
R3       EQU   3
R4       EQU   4
R5       EQU   5
R6       EQU   6
R7       EQU   7
R8       EQU   8
R9       EQU   9
RA       EQU   10
RB       EQU   11
RC       EQU   12
RD       EQU   13
RE       EQU   14
RF       EQU   15
*
          STM   RE,RC,12(RD)        REGISTER SICHERN
          USING MDV9970,RF          ADRESSIERUNG HERSTELLEN
          L     R3,0(R1)            ADRESSE VOM BUFFER = 1. PARAMETER
          MVC   0(52,R3),20(RD)     REGISTER 0 BIS 12 AUS SA UEBERTR.
          ST    RD,52(R3)           REGISTER 13 ABSPEICHERN
          MVC   56(8,R3),12(RD)     REGISTER 14 UND 15 AUS SA UEBERTR.
          LM    RE,RC,12(RD)        REGISTER ZURUECKLADEN
          BR    RE                  UND RUECKSPRUNG
*
          END   MDV9970

​Looks fairly good to me. For returning the 32 bit registers, that is. But
it seems to be "overkill" to me. The "guts" of the routine could be just:

      STM R0,RF,12(RD) SAVE ALL REGS.
      L R3,0(,R1) POINT TO RETURN AREA
      ​MVC 0(64,R3),12(RD) MOVE REGS AT ENTRY
      SLR RF,RF
      BR RE

This does not use standard linkage, but is that really necessary? The only
possible abend would be on the MVC, if the routine is not called properly.
I included the SLR just to "zero" the return code. If the C code is
declared as returning "void" (e.g. "void MDV9970(regs) ;" where regs is
defined as "uint regs[16];" ) then R15 on exit is ignored.

But you should add a LM instruction to restore the registers,
for example R3. The original program is called inside a C function,
and I thought that the registers should be restored on exit in a (sort of)
standard way. This is expected by the surrounding C routine, IMO.

What I find most interesting:

if I set RF (or any other register) to zero, I always would code

XR  RF,RF

you use

SLR  RF,RF

it's a matter of style, or maybe what you learned first. I know of people
using SR RF,RF - but I never saw SLR RF,RF up until now. Nice :-)

There was once a discussion that you can tell the author of a piece of software
from such style attributes ... not only with ASSEMBLER, but with other
languages (even C etc.), too. With other languages, it's maybe more the
style of writing, layout etc.

Kind regards

Bernd