Thank you all.

Jesse answered the question.

It looks like STCs are agnostic to ESTBYTE.

Regardless of the line count, if a STC takes 25% of the spool, it needs to
be cancelled, either by Exit 20, Netview, or as a last resort the operator.

Oh well, back to the drawing board, Exit 20, and Netview.

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Edward Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> > On Jun 10, 2017, at 2:33 PM, Tom Brennan <t...@tombrennansoftware.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I should probably relay my old story about estimated line counts:  Back
> around 1984 a spool shortage occurred that slowed or stopped all processing
> enough that the manager response was "Put in some limits". So someone
> implemented a JES2 exit that 722'd when the estimated line count was
> exceeded.  Managers were happy I guess.
>
> Indeed we had field in the accounting field that specified the max number
> of lines (25K was the max).
> We were somewhat lucky as a full spool almost never happened (in the
> 80’s). We liked to think that was way. But it did work.
>
> Ed
> >
> > The result, however, was that virtually all of the 722's were folks who
> simply needed to increase their estimated line count, often after a
> complaining phone call to my desk.  So basically all the exit did was cause
> reruns and additional CPU usage - very expensive in those days.  I ended up
> removing the exit and concentrated on actions to handle spool problems on
> the back-end (notification and automation, including spool offload if
> necessary).  Those back-end methods have their own issues, but at least the
> complaning calls stopped.
> >
> > Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:
> >> In light of our spool problems, we have undertaken to set a limit.
> Trying to make everyone put output limits in their jobs would be out of the
> question. So we dug into TFM and found system wide ESTLNCT. There are
> related parms for byte count and page count, but we went with lines for
> simplicity. It's a 'basic' parm not associated with job class. We set
> ESTLNCT to a value that we calculated would represent around 20% of the
> spool. Fortunately we have a sandbox system where we can play with this
> sort of thing. Good news for us: a large output job gets S722 when our
> experimental limit is exceeded. Bad news for OP: I set up a started task to
> do the same thing; it ran to completion regardless of output count. So it
> appears that STCs are not subject to the ESTLNCT value. I’m 99% sure that
> the TSO OUTLIM value specified in IKJTSOxx affects only TSO; in fact, only
> the TSO TRANSMIT command, not TSO output in general. Before discovering
> ESTLNCT, we set out to get automation (SA) to analyze the 'output exceeded'
> message and cancel a job when it reaches 20% of the spool; that value is
> included in the message. I imagine that the same strategy could be used to
> limit STCs, but it would require more work. It just occurred to me that if
> you're concerned about a specific STC, you might try putting a JOB card on
> it. I have not tried that.

George Henke
(C) 845 401 5614