On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:36:17 -0400, Peter Relson wrote:

>>one problem we kept running into was that not everyone
>>registered their use with IBM and apparently we had some
>>people's favorite offset number, so occasionally we
>>would have people step on us.
>
>If you have any detailed information on this (such as anything that might
>identify the culprit), perhaps you could share it offline with me.
>
>I truly find it rather hard to believe that anyone would be so
>irresponsible as to do this..

And there's little practical defense.  Requiring authentication won't
work because the offender was probably APF-authorized.  Is this
perhaps a license violation?  But it's not worth the legal fees to
pursue.

Name/token has a similar weakness.  Might the vendor rely on
embedding a registered trademark or domain name (16 characters
is too few) in the name?  But enforcement remains a problem.

-- gil