The MD5 is used to verify that the file sent from the mainframe has the same
data when received on the interim distributed system.  So creating the MD5
after its already there does no good.

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
ste...@copper.net <ste...@copper.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:51 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: EBCDIC, ASCII, ugh

--- frank.swarbr...@outlook.com wrote:

From:         Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbr...@outlook.com>
To:           IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [IBM-MAIN] EBCDIC, ASCII, ugh
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2017 22:25:21 +0000

This is a weird one (I think).

We have a requirement to store some information in an encrypted ASCII file
(that is, it was ASCII prior to being encrypted) on a distributed platform over
which we have no control.  We also have a requirement that we make sure that no
data is lost during transmission.

<SNIPPAGE>

Are there any (easy?) options I should consider that don't use Unix files?

Thanks, Frank

-----
I would think that you could ftp the file to a Windows machine and then do the
MD5 there. ftp the file back to z/OS in Binary mode and then encrypt it and
send it to the end user using Binary. Then have the end user send it back via
ftp Binary, to the z/OS system.

Now run the process backwards and you should be able to compare the original to
the "reconstituted" file and see what is amiss if anything.

This keeps you away from *nix file systems. What the customer does is their
problem. But, once the file is encrypted and is being treated as binary, one
would hope that there is nothing they can do to mangle that file at this point.

However, remember Murphy's laws and understand that Murphy was an optimist.
Meanwhile, Rod Serling still shows up in a computer here and there.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

ps. This almost sounds like a situation that is begging for an MFT system to
deal with all of this. [Managed File Transfer]