I hear that. I was shutting down due to a really bad T-Storm and had tom wait
for updates to complete. SCARY!

Bill

________________________________
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 7:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Windows 10 auto update was Re: Eliminating the systems programmer was
Re: IBM cuts contractor billing by 15 percent (our else)

[Default] On 23 Jun 2017 06:14:21 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
pacemainl...@gmail.com (Mark Pace) wrote:

>I am afraid this new "Continuous Update" may lead to the same thing.

As I understand it the continuous update is to be done by applying
updates at times determined by the installation.  While there is the
problem of function enhancement and change being inter-mixed with
corrective code including integrity APARs, the disruption time is
chosen by the installation.

I have Windows 10 Home on the three computers at home and this version
will reboot my computer to apply fixes outside of normal working
hours.  The normal working hours can not be set to effectively be the
full 24 hours in a day.  Thus I have had unattended uploads trashed
and my wife and I have both been lucky that we have not lost any data
due to this careless implementation of update.  Further the
irresponsible people at Microsoft have decided to make it impossible
to shutdown without update.  This of course could be disastrous in a
power outage or imminent loss situation.  Of course it would be nice
to be able to apply updates the way the Tandem systems do without
bringing down the system.

Unfortunately connection to the Internet on any platform means that
integrity APARs or their equivalent must be applied as soon as
feasible.  My disagreement with Microsoft is forced update under all
circumstances.  I can accept the annoyance of constant reminders to
update.

Clark Morris