On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 09:50:00 -0500, Donald Likens <dlik...@infosecinc.com> wrote:

>Walt... Thanks for asking questions. I will answer you questions as best as I
>can.
>
>Does that duplication include number of CPs and processor speed? I have seen
>test environments that were setup as single CP, which
> does little to help debug problems related to multi-tasking or -processing.
>
>A: No! We don't have a test environment that can duplicate their environment
>in that detail. Our test environment is running under
>VM on a 2827, I will check if we can specify how many CPs. I will check with
>the client as to their CPU types, number of CPs, and
>LPAR layout.

In my experience when I worked at IBM, by default VM gave only a single CP, but
we had a way of requesting more. And requesting more was critical to successful
testing.

>How many simultaneous copies of your batch process were running, given that
>the client could have dozens or hundreds of address
>spaces writing SMF records? How much multi-tasking within your batch process
>did you have, in case the issue is related to multi-
>tasking rather than multi-processing?
>
>A: I only ran one one batch process at a time but the normal SMF processing
>was happening at the same time. I will run another test.
>
>How did each of your batch processes pass the records to the exit? And which
>exit(s) did you use?
>
>A: The called the exit directly passing the record in register 1. We use the
>same exit for IEFU83-5.

It would probably be a more realistic test if your program actually wrote them
as SMF records and let SMF pass them to the appropriate exit. But I don't know
how critical that would be.

--
Walt