Tim,

I am not sure I have a good understanding of this.

Now, to your post. You actually hit a problem we have. We have a z/10 that is running 5 z/OS LPARs and memory allocation is not the best. You indicate that running z/OS under VM might be the answer. But, a few years ago, some testing made us discount z/VM for such. Maybe our testing was faulty.

We had a customer running OS/390 (yes, that old) on a z/800. We have since moved them to a z/10 which has worked well for over a year. During the initial testing of OS/390 on the z/10, we thought we would need to run it under z/VM. What we found was that simple backup processing (full volume dumps to tape) took almost twice as long under z/VM than in a native LPAR. A couple of posts on the z/VM list seem to tell us that using guests (either z/OS or z/VSE) with less than 2 real CPUs would affect I-O performance.

Maybe we misunderstood something. What are your thoughts on it?

Tony Thigpen