On 17Jul17:1306-0700, Phil Smith wrote:

> David L. Craig wrote:

> >This is a golden opportunity, IBM.  Please don't blow it.
> >This will require better than usual marketing.  Prove to us
> >there are no backdoors and that decrypted data cannot be
> >exfiltrated by SEs and HMCs.
>
> Not understand concern re backdoor-it's AES; if it's keys
> you're concerned about, Crypto Express provides that security.
>
> >If you can do that, you will
> >have no competition for enterprises that are serious about
> >keeping their secrets secret.  Enterprises like IBM, for
> >instance.
>
> <self-serving post follows>
[  self-serving post elided --dlc   ]

No, it's about the NSA strong-arming vendors to enable the NSA
to spy on customer data while compelling the vendors to maintain
no such arrangements exist.  The widespread belief that this has
been going on for a long time now is prevalent in markets
outside the USA (many US customers are uncomfortable as well).
Building these boxes in China may not make potential customers
feel any less concerned.  It's also about local law enforcement
and many politicians crying our for vendors to be forced to
provide local law enforcement with the means of breaking the
encryption of data they consider "interesting."  For IBM to
convince the world Z boxen will keep their secrets secrets, they
will have to conclusively put all those concerns to rest.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________