On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:45:08 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>  As an experiment, I will try adding some "unusual" characters (like
>degree ° and check__✔)  to force Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit and see
>what the list does to this message.__

It came to me as:
Don't know which M?A did me the "favor".  Pervasive timidity, almost phobic.

[How] does it appear in your outbox?  Do you have REPRO ON?
how did it get reflected to you?

And when I mail something to a mainframe, it often arrives as:
    charset=USASCII
when it has clearly been translated to EBCDIC.  If a MTA/MDA is going
to perform such a conversion, it ought to adjust the MIME headers to
agree.

-- gil