>On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 22:18:51 +0000, Frank Swarbrick <frank.swarbrick@OUTLOOK=
>.COM> wrote:
>
>>There was a post to ibm-main by Allan Kielstra of IBM compiler development=
> (I think) on May 10, 2017 (How are Program Object sections with Defer attr=
>ibute loaded?) that discusses how the writable static area (WSA) is used in=
> COBOL V5 and COBOL V6.  Briefly, this is how I understand it.  If the "NOW=
>SOPT" compiler option is used (the default in COBOL V5) then all COBOL work=
>ing-storage is placed in the WSA.  If the "WSOPT" compiler option is used t=
>hen working-storage is separately allocated upon initial entry to the progr=
>am and the address of the WS is placed in the WSA.
>>
>>Hopefully I got that all right!
>>

>Everyone talks about WSOPT vs NOWSOPT compiler option, but I can't find the=
>m documented in COBOL documentation library.
>Are WSOPT and NOWSOPT some nicknames of the accurate terms?
>Where are they documented?

Everyone?  No one should talk about this hidden option.  We added it to V5
for a specific customer situatation.  We did not want to change V5 behavior
for everyone.  COBOL V6 is now using the preferred WSOPT behavior.  That
means that WORKING-STORAGE is acquired from HEAP just like all COBOL versions
did before COBOL V5.  This in turn means that the STORAGE option can again be
used to set initial values of WOKRING-STORAGE to x'00' or x'FF' or anything.

We have improved the "How to find WORKING-STORAGE at runtime" instructions
in the COBOL V6.2 Migration Guide.  This has been a work in progress, starting
with trying to do things the 'C' way (WSA) and then moving back to having the
runtime allocate WORKING-STORAGE as in previous COBOL versions.

By the way, COBOL V5 goes out of marketing in Sept, it will no longer be
available.  Honestly, the only COBOL version I would think anyone would want
is COBOL V6.2, it has lots of things to make it more natural for COBOL
application programmers, as well as exploitation of z14 hardware and
performance improvements!

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<