From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 12:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: any interest: FTOSTPR exit (z/OS FTP server exit).

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 08:25:18 -0500, John McKown  wrote:

> com.ibm.zos.v2r2.halz002/ftp_cfg_opt_user_exits.htm
> >> This
> file
> (append

> these
> email
> downloads
> uploaded.
> >> >
> >> When is the exit entered?  When the command begns?  When it completes?
> Both?
> >>
> >​Exit runs _after_ the command completes. It has a parameter which
> >indicates the "return code" for the function. I've not looked closely
> >at the various values which might be in this "return code".​
> >
> >Perhaps I should have included this link as well:
> >https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/
> com.ibm.zos.v2r2.halz001/ftpostpruserexit.htm
> >
> I RTFM.  That one is entered after; (most?) others before.
>
> Also, with what UID are tne exits entered?  I assume that after
> password validitation the server does fork(); setuid(); so are
> subsequent exits entered with the UID of the server (parent) or of the
> child?

​Good question. I have not written any code at yet, so I don't know. I was
asking mainly to get feedback as to whether it is even a reasonable idea to
look at. So far, other than yourself, it seems to be a "big yawn".​

> Wild idea: How about an exit in ~$LOGNAME/.ftpexit, execued for each
> command after the setuid()?  This could be authored by the user with
> no need for admin privilege.  I suppose ths is equivalent to
> FILETYPE=JES, ssh, or Co:Z in that each provides a way to execute code
> remotely.

​Sounds like a really interesting idea. Basically that's what I was hoping for
- ideas about "what to do", and whether anybody was interested at all.​

--
If you look around the poker table & don't see an obvious sucker, it's you.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown