I think you have to start the GSKSRVR first before starting the GSK writer. We
had to do an SSL trace per IBM's request and the following was the process they
gave to us. Note, this was for a CICS trace so your reply may be different.

1) Start the GSKSRVR started task:
   S GSKSRVR
2) Start the trace writer proc with the console command:
   TRACE CT,WTRSTART=GSKWTR
3) Start SSL CTRACE with the console command:
   TRACE CT,ON,COMP=GSKSRVR
4) Reply to the outstanding reply: (yourjob is the name of the CICS
                                    region to be traced)
   R xx,JOBNAME=(yourjob),OPTIONS=(LEVEL=255),WTR=GSKWTR,END
4a) D TRACE,COMP=GSKSRVR,SUB=(jobname)  to verify trace is active
4b) Refresh the SSL environment using CEMT PERFORM SSL REBUILD
5) Establish a connection to CICS
6) Stop SSL CTRACE with the console command:
   TRACE CT,OFF,COMP=GSKSRVR
7) Stop the trace writer proc with the console command:
   TRACE CT,WTRSTOP=GSKWTR,FLUSH
8) Stop the GSKSRVR started task:
   P GSKSRVR