This may be a "big hammer" approach, but why not just move the datasets you
want to keep off of each volume to another volume and then initialize each
volume?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mike Bell
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 12:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SMS dataset woes

Your issue is the new (different) usercat name.  I am not sure if the vvds
captures the SMS but I know it captures the usercat.

Mike

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:

> I would appreciate some advice on a problem that I'm having on a
> development system.
> We copied some volumes from an old machine, where the data sets where
> SMS managed to a new system where SMS is really not set up and we
> would prefer to keep it that way.
>
> We exported the old usercat that had the datasets on these volumes and
> then imported it to a new usercat on the new system, which worked fine.
>
> But the problem is that we can't delete any of the old datasets, since
> they still have the old SMS "storclass" in the VVDS (I think).
>
> - ISPF delete just says "Deallocation failed"
>
> - TSO/IDCAMS delete does this:
>
> delete ftp.data
>
> IDC0550I ENTRY (A) LISA.FTP.DATA DELETED IDC3014I CATALOG ERROR+
> IDC3009I  VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 50 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLFO-88
> IDC0551I  ENTRY LISA.FTP.DATA NOT DELETED IDC0014I LASTCC=8
> RC(8)
>
> So the data set is uncataloged, but remains on the volume and the VVDS.
>
> This error is documented here:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.
> 0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieam600/bb3009i.htm
>

> *88* *Explanation:* A VVR or NVR with the correct component name was
> found, but the catalog name did not match. On a delete request, the
> BCS record will be deleted, but the VVR or NVR and the format 1 DSCB
> will not be scratched. There is no SFI data.
>
> *Programmer Response:* No action is required because this code is for
> information only.
> Does anyone have any suggestions other than to try to migrate the
> missing SMS definitions?  We have crap for skills and that area, so an
> alternative would be appreciated.
>
> One workaround would be something that would scratch an uncataloged SMS
> dataset (and remove from the VVDS).   Will IEHPROGM do this?  It doesn't
> seem like it:
>
>    SCRATCH DSNAME=LISA.JOB.LOG,VOL=3390=(VPWRKB),PURGE
>
>  IEH207I  STATUS OF USERS REQUEST TO SCRATCH DATA SET LISA.JOB.LOG
>
>           VOLUME I.D.     ACTION TAKEN     REASON FOR TAKING THIS ACTION
>                  ERROR
>             VPWRKB          NONE           CORRECT PASSWORD NOT AVAILABLE
>                  ***
>

> Thanks for any help...
>

> Kirk Wolf
> Dovetailed Technologies
> http://dovetail.com

Mike

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address.
Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly
by receipt of this email.