On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> >>Why is that still a thing in the 21st Century?
> >
> >Backward compatibility all the way back to Julius Ceasar and Nero ... ;-D
> >
> >What would you like to have in place of FB?
> >
> It could be done, with extreme backward compatibility.  Consider that for
> a UNIX
> file if the application OPENs it for INPUT with RECFM=FB, the access method
> (it was briefly called "XSAM") pads each record to LRECL with blanks and
> removes
> the NL character; for RECFM=VB, it converts each NL to a synthesized RDW.
> For
> OUTPUT, the operations are reversed (but trailing spaces are not removed).
> (Except for Binder which pigheadly overrides JCL DD attributes and does its
> own stupid thing.)
>
> Decades ago, before OMVS was envisioned, I was maintaining/enhancing the
> runtime library for a FOSS Pascal system and wished the access method
> would do something similar for Classic data sets.  It would have saved me
> considerable support code and a Pascal application could have seen
> everything as RECFM=V.
>
> Such support for Classic data sets still merits an RFE, IMHO.  Even better
> than
> mere backward compatibility.

​That would be interesting to have. Let [BQ]SAM compare the RECFM in the
DSCB (or tape label) versus the program (or JCL). If the DCB or JCL says
RECFM=V & the DSCB says RECFM=F, then create a VB record from the FB record
and vice versa. If this were really wanted, then I would bet that someone
could use the GPSAM program from the CBT to create something.​

--
If you look around the poker table & don't see an obvious sucker, it's you.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown