>on z/OS the sticky bit on an executable file affects how a spawn() and
>_BPX_SHAREAS works.

It mainly affects where the loader starts looking for the program to be loaded,
namely LPA. Its a performance thing in the first place. Then, for some reason
unknown to me, IBM had to decide that such modules must not be loaded as local
process. I guess it's an system integrity issue. Therefore it affects spawn().

>Its kind of a hack (mess).

In what sense do you think it is a hack? I agree its a mess, in that is
inhibits a locally spawned shell.

--
Peter Hunkeler