On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 19:53:41 -0700, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>the thing that helped in diagnosing was having SMPLOG going to SYSOUT

I think you mean that the thing that helped you was to examine the
SMPLOG output. I'm surprised at that because I have not yet noticed
anything in SMPLOG that is not also in SMPOUT.

In any case, SMPLOG is a valuable resource for diagnosing some
situations long after the fact, when the job output is gone. I
strongly recommend that it go to a data set with DISP=MOD, and
that SMPLOGA be available in the event that SMPLOG fills. I use
SMPLOG several times per year, and don't bother with LIST LOG, but
just VIEW the data set and use the HX line command to see the
packed decimal date and time in the first few bytes.

--
Tom Marchant