On 8/30/2017 7:37 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 09:18:57 -0500, Larre Shiller wrote:
.... I suppose that one might equate all of that with "stabilization"... but
truly, that's not one of the carefully chosen words the SOD and it's a characterization
and a direction that SSA (as a JES3 customer) will certainly be pushing back on.

Which compels IBM to dilute its development and support resource, to the
detriment of both JES2 and JES3 customers.

Not true AT ALL! JES3 customers are paying IBM seriously big money ($$$) to develop, maintain and support JES3. My most recent estimate is that they receive ~50X the funding they need for this effort. More than enough to hire, train and educate an entire army of young, energetic POK (or Rochester or wherever) developers, testers and support people to make JES3 do just about anything they want it to.

If there has been any detriment to JES2 customers in recent years, it has been IBM "wasting" development resource desperately attempting to "jam" JES3 functionality into JES2 in hopes of making JES2 a more palatable spooling platform to its JES3 customers. Functions like 8-byte job class, converter/interpreter, dependent job control, deadline scheduling, accepting/understanding JES3 JECL, etc. are all part of this effort. However, such JES2 technology improvements do little to address the real costs of a JES strategy conversion and have therefore, for the most-part, fallen on deaf ears in the JES3 community.

Based on my anecdotal observations of our JES2 customers, I would say they don't seem too interested in these "improvements" either. JES2 DJC has some interest on the surface, but no real traction that I have observed, probably because the JCL is too complex. (They might get a few to use the new, simplified z/OS 2.3 BEFORE/AFTER support that works similar to the Mellon mods.) A handful of JES2 customers seem to be using HOLDUNTL= and related keywords. That's about it. The rest of the functionality is being eschewed -- probably because JES2 folks recognize those features as coming from that *other* JES. Yuck! LOL

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe