On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:16:41 +0800, Timothy Sipples wrote:

>David Noon wrote:
>>The script that will never work is for bash (another UNIX shell).
>
>I don't understand this sentence. Nor does Rocket Software, I assume:
>
>http://www.rocketsoftware.com/zos-open-source/tools

In most of the Linux shells that David and I tried, printf is a shell
builtin.  Of these, only zsh seems to understand the variable-length
UTF-8 encoding.  /usr/bin/printf is UTF-8 ignorant also.

In my CJK examples, most of the glyphs are displayed double-width,
so it's as much a matter of terminal emulator behavior as of printf's
formatting.

-- gil