Peter Relson wrote:

>Isn't the answer really: no, it would not have prevented the breach but it
>would have prevented the breach from having the undesirable effects (e.g.,
>exposing sensitive data)?

Actually in my humble opinion, there are TWO answers - Yes and No.

It depends on how the breach took place in the first place.

If breachers are insiders themselves, you're basically out of luck and goodbye
to your [sensitive and unencrypted] data.

If breachers can install nefarious software on your z/OS users workstation,
they can mis-use those workstations to steal [and perhaps decrypt] whatever
they want.

If you are leaving a hole somewhere where (non-SSL) application, FTP and TELNET
for example, are open to the outside world, then you deserves to be punished.

>If breached data is encrypted, I believe that there is not a regulatory
>requirement to report the breach.

I don't know about rules and regulations, but I believe ALL breaches should be
reported somehow. Of course, red faces will follow despite the encrypted data.

Perhaps if someone can really decrypt it, then big blue has a red face...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht