On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:19:20 +0000, Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA) wrote:

>We are investigating converting users from passwords to passphrases and I was
>told that both JES2 and JES3 will generate a JCL error if the password in JCL
>exceeded 8 characters.
>
>How do shops get around this to use passphrases?

The JCL Ref. AFAICT, mentions "password phrase" only in connection with the
JOB statement and the JOBGROUP statement.

Where else were you trying to use a passphrase?

Like too many z/OS enhancements, the implementation of password phrases is
spotty; half-baked.  They're supported in a minuscule minority of contexts;
unsupported in the vast majority.

-- gil