All,

Yes I know this might be considered an ISPF type question but I'll ask the
gurus here first.  :-)

We have a batch job running ISRSUPC to compare 2 VTS-based tape datasets and it
has been working fine.  However, it failed at 0-dark-30 this morning with an
E37 on the output statement.  That's OK, but what happened next is why I'm
posing the question.  To rerun the job, the developer on call simply changed
the JCL to point the OUTDD to the VTS and restarted the job.  The job promptly
stopped after mounting the 3 tapes (2 input and the OUTDD) and did absolutely
nothing until it timed out.  So here is my question.  Is there a limitation or
a problem with sending ISRSUPC output to a tape based dataset?

I see in the ISPF user guide that " Note: SuperC does not support tape data
sets.", but why would that extend to a simple report output dataset?  So at
this point, my question is more of a "why can't I send the sequential output to
a tape dataset, because that just doesn't make sense to me" type question.

All the programmer did was comment out the SPACE and UNIT=SYSDA cards and add
the UNIT=VTS and the job hangs.

Here's the JCL.

//STEP040 EXEC PGM=ISRSUPC,
//            PARM=(DELTAL,BYTECMP,
//            '')
//NEWDD    DD DSN=TM.LFCZ.LCA0702(0),DISP=SHR
//OLDDD    DD DSN=TM.LFCP.LCA0702(0),DISP=SHR
//OUTDD    DD DSN=RRP.COMPALL.STEP040O,
//            DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//*           UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=(,,,15),
//            UNIT=VTS,
//*           SPACE=(CYL,(50,20),RLSE),
//            DCB=(LRECL=133,RECFM=FBA,BLKSIZE=0)

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Rex

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.