From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 9:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: SMF30 EXCP count confusion

SMF manual, Chapter 10 "EXCP Count" seems to clearly state that EXCP counts
are indeed the number of EXCPs executed. Fields SMF30TEP and SMF30TEX are
described as "Total blocks transferred (accumulated EXCP counts).

I would assume that these fields still contain the number of EXCPs executed
and not the number of blocks transferred. IMHO, the number of blocks is
greater or equal to number of EXCPs.

So, the number of EXCPs is only a relative measure of the I/O done when
comparing multiple runs of the same program using the same I/O attributes
(blocksize, bufno, etc. etc). It is not a direct measure of the abount of
data really transferred.

Am I right, or what am I missing?

--
Peter Hunkeler