I believe it was 4.1.  Here's an interesting article:

http://2000clicks.com/links/Computers/IBMMainframeHistory/mvshist5.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2017 9:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: When was the *basic* sysplex introduced? MVS/ESA 4.1?

I do remember that MVS/ESA V5 (V5.1) introduced the *parallel* sysplex. But I
don't remember exactly what MVS/ESA release introduced the *basic* sysplex.
ISTR, it was MVS/ESA V4 (V4.1). Correct?

--
Peter Hunkeler

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address.
Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly
by receipt of this email.