Getting closer... there was something called "DL1", or maybe it was
styled "DL/I" like PL/I.  It was part of IMS, although it could be
adapted or something to CICS and batch.  Also, IMS I think was
semi-organized into two parts: IMS/DB and IMS/DC.  All-in-all, a
plausible case for the "2" in dB2.

--
sas