On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 20:30:21 +1100, Wayne Bickerdike <wayn...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Why DB2 has so many address spaces is probably because of the IMS heritage.
>Other (simpler but equally effective DBMS) manage on a single address
>space....I wish...

 I believe this was due to the size limitation of 31-bit address space and
unsatiable hunger of db2 buffer pool manager for which no amount was ( is ! )
enough. In theory 1.6GB ( out of a total of 2GB ) could be allocated to buffer
pools and there was still use for hyperspace buffering. In fact buffer pools in
dataspaces was tried at one time but all that came to and end with advent of
64-bit addressing. I'd think that locking and logging, frequent as they are,
would have saved some cycles if they were local calls instead of cross memory
but there simply was no room for them in DBM1. In today's world space
considerations may not matter as much but the benefits of isolating these
functions still remain. On the other hand I have no idea why IRLM has to be its
own subsystem.
Mohammad