From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Pew, Curtis G
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2017 5:51 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SUBSYS= ?

On Nov 9, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Farley, Peter x23353 <peter.far...@broadridge.com>
wrote:

> Very interesting, and I see it is still present in the JCL reference manual
> up to V2.3.
>
> Well, either we are seeing unsupported behavior on a pretty massive scale in
> my shop or the doc needs updating.
>
> If any DFSMS IBM'ers are monitoring this list, could you please tell us
> whether this restriction is real or a leftover from an earlier implementation?
>
> Alternatively, if any other IBM'er reading the list would please ask a DFSMS
> colleague if this is a real restriction or not and post their reply here,
> that would be much appreciated.
>
> If the doc needs updating I would gladly submit a requesting email to the
> proper doc authority.

I’ve been waiting for someone who knows something about BLSR to chime in, but
here goes. As I recall (it’s been years since I did this) when you use BLSR you
add a new DD statement that points to your cluster, and then the original DD
statement is changed to ‘SUBSYS=(BLSR,'DDNAME=newdd',…)’. So the SUBSYS
parameter is on a different DD statement from the reference to the SMS-managed
dataset, and the rule about not using them together is followed.

attachments from your system.