> On Nov 10, 2017, at 6:14 AM, Joe Owens <joe_ow...@standardlife.com> wrote:
>
> I am in the process of testing moving our user catalogs to SMS so that we can
> use RLS in ZOs V2.2
>
> It all works just fine and looks like a very good performance benefit..
> Historically we have a volume for each user catalog. I guess this goes back
> to the days of reserves, etc.

Jesse,

The days of one catalog per volume was in the VS1 days. They also used a method
of sub allocation, in that you defined a huge space on the volume and all new
vsam datasets were put into that one space.
I vaguely remember doing the conversion to MVS and the conversion worked like
magic, what used to be one dataset was now several hundred. I was happy that
the person  who originally created it allowed enough vote space.

Ed