0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> I imagine:
>
> RFE: We want UNIX.
>
> IBM: Be more specific.
>
> Both: (After much deliberation) Single UNIX specification.
>
> And so it went.  There's no formal specification of GNU Linux.
>
> Sigh.

some of the CTSS (IBM 7094) people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatible_Time-Sharing_System

went to the 5th flr to do MULTICS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics

others went to the IBM cambridg science center on the 4th flr and did
virtual machines, internal network, invented GML (letters taken from
last names of 3 inventors), lots of online and performance work
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/CMS

folklore is that the belllabs people working on Multics on the 5th
flr, return home and do UNIX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multics#Unix

In the early 80s, a group from Stanford approached the IBM Palo Alto
Science Center about IBM doing a workstation, PASC invites several
internal groups for review ... who all claim that they were doing
something better (and IBM turns down the offer). The group then starts
their own company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems

late 80s, there appears to be aggreement between SUN & AT&T to make
UNIX exclusive.  the other vendors form organization to create an
"open" unix work-alike.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Software_Foundation

The organization was seen as a response to the collaboration between
AT&T and Sun on UNIX System V Release 4, and a fear that other vendors
would be locked out of the standardization process. This led Scott
McNealy of Sun to quip that "OSF" really stood for "Oppose Sun
Forever".[4] The competition between the opposing versions of UNIX
systems became known as the UNIX wars.

... snip ...

Unix wars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_wars

in the 90s, they merge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Software_Foundation#Merger

By 1993, it had become clear that the greater threat to UNIX system
vendors was not each other as much as the increasing presence of
Microsoft in enterprise computing. In May, the Common Open Software
Environment (COSE) initiative was announced by the major players in the
UNIX world from both the UI and OSF camps: Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Sun,
Unix System Laboratories, and the Santa Cruz Operation. As part of this
agreement, Sun and AT&T became OSF sponsor members, OSF submitted Motif
to the X/Open Consortium for certification and branding and Novell
passed control and licensing of the UNIX trademark to the X/Open
Consortium.

... snip ...

triva ... recent mention of joke about head of POK being major
contributor to DEC VMS ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017k.html#30 Converting programs to accommodate
8-character userids and prefixes

one of the DEC executives at OSF meetings had previously worked in
the (Burlington Mall) vm370/cms development group.

Not all of AT&T was UNIX. In 1975, I had moved a lot of enhancments
from CP67 to VM370 ... some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

one of my hobbies was providing & supporting enhanced operating systems
for internal datacenters.  However, some deal was cut with AT&T
Longlines to get a copy (this was version w/o multiprocessor
support). AT&T Longlines had all the source and over the years,
continued to move it to more current IBM mainframes.  Finally in the
80s, the IBM AT&T national account rep tracks me down about helping
longlines move to current version (with multiprocessor). This was in
3081 period which was announced as multiprocessor only and clone vendors
were coming out with faster single processors.

Eventually IBM did come out with 3083 (3081 with processor removed) ...
mostly for the ACP/TPF market (ACP/TPF didn't have multiprocessor
support, concern that the ACP/TPF customers would all move to non-IBM
clone processors).

IBM CSC, 545 tech sq posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech
SMP posts