On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 17:39:00 -0800, retired mainframer wrote:

>Since pointer arithmetic is performed in terms of object size, you want to
>do the arithmetic on a char pointer because sizeof(char) is guaranteed to be 1.

For (some?) members of the Scientific Data Systems (SDS) Sigma Family
    http://s3data.computerhistory.org/brochures/sds.sigma.1967.102646100.pdf
    When indexing is used, the index register automatically scales itself
    according to the size of the data involved for easier programming.
    For example, if the selected index register contains a 27, an indexed
    Load Byte instruction automatically loads the 27th byte; an indexed
    Load Word instruction automatically loads the 27th word, etc. ...

FSVO "easier".  THe scheme seems peculiarly ill-suited for accessing various
sized members of structures in arrays.  But, then FORTRAN was the only
programming language you'd ever use.  And I faked arrays of structures by
using parallel static arrays of simple values, even for some list processing.

-- gil