On 2/14/2018 11:18 AM, Benik, John E wrote:
From: Benik, John E
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 11:22 AM
To: 'IBM Mainframe Discussion List'
Subject: RE: RMM question

We have been looking at changing from VRSEL to Retention Method processing.
However our understanding is that in Z/OS 2.3 a lot of the functionality
performed by the exits is being removed and we were told that we should wait
for this before we change to retention method.  If you do an RMM LC All you
should be able to see if the exit is enabled.  One of the big differences I
have found with RMM and CA-1 is that there is no default retention for catalog
control in RMM.  If you don't code EXPDT=99000 you will not get catalog control
and that applies for GDGs as well.  So that being said check your RMM parms and
see how long the retention is.  This should give you an idea of when these
tapes will scratch.  Retention Method processing however allows you to set
Catalog Control as the default.

John Benik | Optum

John,

You can make catalog control the default without Retention Method, with a VRS ** WHILECATALOG, or a UXTABLE default entry with 99000 and EDGUX100.

Regards,
Tom Conley