When I last worked on this, we used CA-1's catalog retention (RETPD=990000 if I
recall)  for the GDGs, but because of the 255-entry GDG limit we had to do some
'merge jobs' to combine various archive "tapes" (ours were redirected to disk
by Tape Mount Management)  so we could have a year or two retention.   Catalog
retention for GDGs means that when the GDG entry "rolls off" the tape should
expire during your next CA-1 cycle.

I don't know what level of z/OS you are on but at z/OS 2.2 the ability to set
the GDGEXTENDED parameter to YES (default is NO) in IGGCATxx  means you can go
to 999.

What, specifically, are you trying to do with $AVRS?