Tommy,

That's a really big question. You're talking about a complete batch tuning
exercise. The increased buffering is an old tuning hack, but with synchronous
replication, the primary benefit is for sequential writes where you can achieve
the Host/RIO overlap. It works equally well for the QSAM, BSAM, and VSAM.

For VSAM though, be sure it is sequential write IO, because with random NSR
VSAM adding buffers can degrade performance. The best tuning trick I've used
with replication and VBSAM random writes is to use LSR with deferred writes.
Deferring writes will stop VSAM from writing the CI every time a record is
updated, and change the writes to buffer replacement based on LSR. For truly
random updates there will only be a small benefit, but for updates and inserts
with good locality or in key order the result can be a huge reduction in
writes, and therefore the impact of remote IO. You can specify LSR with
deferred writes in JCL using AMP=('ACCBIAS=DO',' SMBDFR=Y').

DB2 database often writes after the fact, and it is the log performance that is
important to externalize harden updates and speed up batch. If you are not
using zHyperwrite, then I suggest you look at implementing that first before
anything else. zHyperwrite in simple terms is host RAID-1 for the DB2 logs, but
the storage is aware that the host is writing directly to the P-VOL and S-VOL.
It means you have to use FICON across the DWDM, stepping down to 2Gb, but at
30km the RTD is small and you should get the benefit of eliminating the RIO
from the write path.

If you are using DFSMS compression, you may want to look at turning it off for
the data sets that you think will benefit from large buffers. DFSMS compression
limits the IO data length to just one track, increasing the number of write IOs
and reducing the IO/RIO overlap.

I would suggest that you need to understand the batch critical path and use
that to identify the longest jobs and job steps to identify the tuning
opportunities where writes can be sped up or eliminated. You're looking at a
large batch tuning exercise.

Ron