While ES6 does add some interesting features to the language, people have done
useful work in server-side well before ES6 came along.

Java 8 contained Nashorn with ES5 support.
Java 6 & 7 contained the Rhino JavaScript engine (although at what level of
Javascript, I forget at the moment). You could also use the external Rhino Jars
if you needed a version later than the embedded Rhino version.

I remember being surprised several years ago at how well JavaScript (using
Rhino) ran on z/OS.

Scott Chapman