On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 14:12:37 -0800, Charles Mills wrote:

>That is what I thought. How can a national grid work if SCE is zigging when
>PG&E is zagging?

But now I'm confused.  The description of TIMER says:
    For TUINTVL, the address is a fullword containing the time interval.
    The time interval is presented as an unsigned 32-bit binary number;
    the low-order bit has a value of one timer unit (approximately 26.04166
    microseconds).

That has to be right, or else programmers would have noticed.

And a less official source (but agreeing with Tony) says:
    http://www10.dict.cc/wp_examples.php?lp_id=1&lang=en&s=interval%20timer

    IBM System/360 architecture
    If the interval timer feature is installed, the processor decrements the
word at
    location 80 ('50'X) at regular intervals; the architecture does not specify
the interval
    but does require that value subtracted make it appear as though 1 were
subtracted
    from bit 23 300 times per second.

But bit 23 must have 256 times the value of the low-order bit, and
    26.04167 * 256 = 6666.66752
... which is 1/150 second, not 1/300 sec.

Was the interval timer the only source of time-of-day on those early models?
If so, the External interrupt handler must reload its register before another
tick is lost -- easy enough at power frequencies, challenging for a higner
resolution interval timer.

I suspect CDC 6600 had such a problem.  I spotted in the source code a fudge
factor, uncommented, which could most plausibly be an accommodation for
missed ticks.  (Or for k != ki.)

-- gil