Lizette Koehler wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any tricks to making the SMF Dump process more
>efficient or faster?

I have gotten many problems with the SMF dump process - anything from slow
dumping, ENQs accross SysPlex and also during IPL, Timing issues, running out
of space, name it. I have gotten all of them and mentioned here on IBM-MAIN...

>And parms on the VSAM Define for the MANx files (like STRNO or RLS) that might
>help?

I don't know what are the best values, but if someone has good suggestions plus
others, I'm all ears!

>I am just using the IBM program IFASMFDP for now

Ok, below actions resolved all problems including the ENQ and IOS120D during
IPLs.

All VSAM datasets in the SysPlex are on exclusive Non-SMS volsers. Nothing else
are there. This alone reduce fragmentation.

All my other SMF datasets are in exclusive SMS management/dataclass/storage
group/storage class.

These SMFPRMxx settings resolved many other dump timing problems:

BUFUSEWARN(25 or 50 depending on LPAR)
BUFSIZMAX(512M)  (Larger is better. See above)
MAXDORM(0500)  (Why filling it up?)
DDCONS(NO)

Depending on speed of filling up, I want to have automation to kick off 'I SMF'
automagically as few times as possible. Let z/OS do it (dump/clear VSAM dsn)
instead forcing it.

The idea is - dump more often in smaller chunks.

Then I have activated custom IEFU29 process which are kicked off automatically
whenever there is a 'I SMF'.

Another tailoring I did was having every 3 - 6 hours a job which forced a 'I
SMF' about one minute apart for all LPARs in the SysPlex.

Setup your automation software to handle IEE366*, *IEE986E, *IEE985A, IEE979*
messages.

After midnight, everything written out are then copied and MODded on a monthly
dataset. Repeat all actions for having a working backup.

Of course, my SMF setup may or may not work in YOUR environment - YMMV. No
LOGSTREAM for me for now.

Hope that helps you!

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht