From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Clark Morris
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 2:13 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Exit 6 that sets the job class was Re: EXIT to control use
of Class

[Default] On 16 Mar 2018 10:38:43 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
dbajava...@gmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>Hi
>
>Is there an EXIT which can assign CLASS to the users based on RACF ID ?
>For example even if a user tries to use CLASS C the user Job must run
>only using CLASS A.

File 175 contains the Philips Lighting JES2 mods that were designed to ease the
conversion from JES 3 to JES2.  The primary changes were in an upgrade to the
American Natural Resources EXIT6.  While the exit was based on the first 3
characters of user=id, it was changed after I left to use ACF2 or RACF to
determine privilege.

The exit does the following:

For production jobs submitted by CA-7, the class is left as A unless it uses a
TCAM queue in which case it is set to the class for that queue.  The class is
shared with test jobs.

For test jobs, the class is set based on time requested in the job card and the
number of tape drives.  Systems programmer jobs were set to a corresponding set
of classes that would run if test jobs were held by turning off the class.  The
catalog was checked for all input data sets to determine whether the data set
was on tape.

In most if not all cases the class on the job card is ignored.  The FCB was set
based on form and there may be other things I forget offhand.

All PROC usage was logged in SMF with the JES2 library concatenation.

From what I have read, if you use exit 6 you may also have to code another
corresponding exit. With the many changes in JCL since 1991, especially, with
the JCLLIB, multiple levels of PROC and INCLUDE statements, major changes might
have to be made.

The major philosophy of the exit was that the system could determine the proper
job class and if it could determine it, the system should set it and the
programmer didn't have to know the rules.

Packages and workload manager may be able to handle some or all of the
functions of this exit.

If anyone is interested, File 175 can be downloaded from www.cbttape.org.  Sam
Golob has included my home phone number which does have call answer in the
writeup for FILE 175.  It is a standard North American phone number and I have
had it for over 26 years. Since I have North America wide free calling I can
return phone calls without penalty.  I have a copy of file 175 on my computer
so I may be able to help if someone actually wants to use any of the files in
the submission.  It has been a fun trip through memory lane.

Having the CBT tape, IPO samples and a concurrent conversion of production
output SYSOUT to put all reports in CA-DISPATCH enabled us to convert in a 3 -
4 month timeframe from JES3 to JES2 with little effect on the application
programmers.

Clark Morris