> On Apr 8, 2018, at 7:49 PM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Edward,
>
> Here's the basic process:
>
> 1. Order and receive physical DVD media containing the software products,
> via postal mail or courier.
>
> 2. Insert the DVD into the drive of any machine that your designated z/OS
> LPAR can reach. (Not necessarily *every* z/OS LPAR.) That machine might be
> the HMC (as far as I can tell), a PC, a Mac, etc. -- *any* machine the z/OS
> LPAR can reach, in network terms, that has a DVD drive. It could even be a
> "smart" DVD drive that has a NAS (Network Attached Storage) capability
> built-in, such as this 2U size rack mountable gadget (no endorsement
> implied):
>
> http://www.primearray.com/products/ArrayStor.php
>
> It could be a machine on a closed network or a machine on the moon. In
> principle, it doesn't matter. *Anything* that can read a DVD and transmit
> its contents across a network. It could also be a machine with a BD
> (Blu-Ray) or BDXL data drive since those are backward compatible with DVD
> data formats.
>
> 3. The machine should be running either a FTP server (e.g. ftpd) or a NFS
> server. If not, configure the machine's FTP server or NFS server and start
> it up. Make the DVD available to the FTP server or NFS server, directly.
> There's no requirement for an initial copy operation from the DVD to that
> machine's own hard drive or flash drive.
>
> 4. Using z/OS's FTP client or NFS client, load or copy the files from the
> DVD. That could be directly (SMP/E RECEIVE FROMNETWORK) or via an initial
> copy operation, onto z/OS attached storage.
>
> That's it, really.
>
> Conceptually, this is *exactly* what you do today. Except you get to choose
> which DVD drive/machine you wish to use (instead of choosing IBM's specific
> tape drive and controller), and the path from your chosen DVD drive/machine
> to your z/OS LPAR is via FTP or NFS over your (presumably) closed network.
> Also, DVDs are easier to ship and store. They're flatter, in particular.
>
> Conceptually, this is also exactly what your Microsoft Windows Server
> administrators are doing today. Assuredly they aren't physically loading
> DVDs on each/every Windows server in your data center. That would require a
> strong pair of roller skates for a large data center, if nothing else.
>
> There's nothing radical, complicated, or controversial about it -- at
> least, there shouldn't be. It's just a change in physical media and
> associated drive, and we've had those many times before. IBM isn't shipping
> 9-track tape, 7-track tape, floppy disks, punched paper tape, or card decks
> any more. And, if anybody is upset for some strange reason, "ask your
> friendly IBM representative" for a phone call with IBM.

> Timothy Sipples
> IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
> Multi-Geography

Timothy,
Thanks you brought up some issues I didn’t know about.
Guess my question was too general as I do not know specifics and thus the
general question.
I was talking offline to a member and he recommended a book, After glancing
through the book, I sent him back this:

> Thanks. However it did not talk about the PC that is hooked up to the HMC
> (i.e. what connect type, and where it is hooked into the HMC (or is that
> something IBM has to do) what windows (or LINUX or ?) version is minimum,
> How much HD space is needed . Also how does the MF get the data off the PC to
> a real DASD. You know the meat and guts.
>
> I will also have to know what exposure this give the “company” security wise.
> I am guessing that we will need a hi-speed link to IBM (i.e. what is
> recommended ) or is this a highspeed link to an ISP (I really don’t know this
> stuff and do not want to underestimate the questions that will be thrown at
> me). Especially security that will want to know and grill me on it. Does the
> interface (IBM, ISP) have to be active all the time or just when we need to
> pull fixes servpacs etc. these people are really security conscious beyond
> belief.

I think that is the guts of the question I need to know which is not covered by
the IBM doc. This may kick off another round, but let us start here..
Ed