In 1974, we considered it, but the cost of a byte of disk storage was
enough to push the storage of each date's century toward the '90s.  We
fully expected the remediation would be needed but storage would be more
affordable by then, which panned out.  What everybody got wrong was
expecting the relative costs of hardware and software to not change, but in
fact they flipped--hardware became dirt cheap but software became very
expensive.