From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SCP an MVS dataset

[External Email]

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 7:24 AM, Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh <
vignesh.v.sankaranaraya...@marks-and-spencer.com> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> A quick question... is it possible to SCP an MVS dataset on to a target?
> I'm able to successfully send USS files but I get 'FOTS1744
> <dataset.name> No such file or directory. (errno2=0x05620062)' when trying a
> dataset.

​Using only IBM software, this is not possible. Dovetailed Technologies has a
product (freely licensed) called "Co:Z sftp" which give you this capability.
This is a zero cost product, but does an an option for paid support. So you can
download it, install, and run it for _NO MONEY_. IMO, anyone who does not
install all of the Co:Z products is doing themselves a grave disservice. And I
do understand that some shops are hyper-aware of security and so it might be a
real problem getting that software approved.

ref: http://dovetail.com/products/sftp.html​

==== OK, some a really horrible way that might work, sort of. YOU HAVE BEEN PUT
ON NOTICE. Use at own risk.

If you want to transfer a file from Linux (I don't do Windows) to a z/OS data
set over an SSH channel, it is possible to "cheat". But only if you want to
convert from ASCII to EBCDIC and are willing to use the default translate
table. The following Linux command shows how:

cat some.file.txt | ssh user@host 'cp /dev/fd0 //some.file.txt'

​Now, the above is simplistic and works. The "cp" command runs as "user" on the
"host" system. By default, the cp command prepends your RACF id onto the data
set name, like in TSO (sort of). Now, a big problem is shell escape characters.
Trying to send a single quote *'* to the z/OS system is a lesson in frustration
due to this.​ And using the Co:Z "solves" this for me.

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or
the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this
e-mail message from your computer.