I don't give this article and the MRI study on which it is based much
credence.
Dijkstra was a great computer scientist, but I doubt that his iconic quotes
here are based on real data.  His comments on COBOL and Basic might have
been influenced by his work on Algol, which he of course (as do I) found to
be far superior :-).

IBM did an extensive study in 1990-1992, where they evaluated how well a
large sample of programmers who were taught new OO languages (C++ and
Smalltalk).
A large positive correlation to success was whether the student had
knowledge of a variety of programming languages and skills.    Duh.

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=141944

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> Full disclosure: Steve Goetze of Dovetail was one of the authors of the
IBM paper/study and I worked in the instructor group that conducted it.

PPS>  My first programming languages (at university) were Fortran, APL,
PL/1, Assembler.