OK, I bet I got your attention on that {grin}.

But, seriously, I am wondering what the "person in the trenches" thinks
about the increasing use of UNIX files and commands becoming more prevalent
on z/OS. I am basically asking because my manager absolutely despises UNIX
files. And hates the current maintenance processes from IBM and CA which
force him to use it. One of his reasons is the case sensitivity of the UNIX
file names. Of course, like most people in the world, his mind has been
corrupted by the case insensitivity of Windows. As well as the very
prevalent use of space characters in Windows file and directory names. This
case sensitivity of names may be another reason why new people, likewise
corrupted by Windows, will take an instant dislike for z/OS. OTOH, Linux
might find it minimally interesting. And maybe even quite interesting, if
IBM would adopt and maintain a port of the GNU infrastructure software.

What I think, and I am likely stupid on this, is that the Apple HFS+
approach might work. Just like, at present, when you create a zFS
filesystem, the default for filenames on an HFS+ filesystem are, like
Windows, case _in_sensitive. However, when an HFS+ filesystem is
initialized, it can be set as "case sensitive". This is done on a
filesystem-by-filesystem basis. What might be nice is to enhance(?) zFS so
that it can be made case _in_sensitive (reverse default of HFS+). This
might be very helpful for "naive" z/OS UNIX users. Put the ${HOME}
directory (usually /u) under automount and set the parameters so that when
automount creates & initializes a ${HOME} directory, it is
case-insensitive. And, of course, they should be a way to "flip the switch"
back an forth between case sensitivity and case insensitivity. Of course,
the "make insensitive" conversion will need to check & abort if there two
names in the same directory which are equivalent when case is ignored. I
would think this would be simple; check for possible problems and if none,
just flip the switch in some sort of "header" data area.  Regardless of
case sensitivity or insensitivity, it should be case preserving, like
Windows.

I know the response from both IBM and CA is/will be basically "suck it up,
maggot!" (to quote a not-so-favorite D.I.)

Oh, well, it is Friday. And, for me, this is almost a reasonable thought.

--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown