On Thu, 10 May 2018 17:30:53 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>Is there a sample program - say in SYS1.SAMPLIB or on the CBT tape (yes, I
>looked) - that shows an example of how to allocate and read a JES spool
>dataset?
>
>How to do this, in other words: https://ibm.co/2IbrcGV

If Rexx is a suitable alternative, look at Rexx examples in the SDSF manual.
The interface does not require TSO: it's equally usable under Unix System
Services.

The scheme is to drill down through JobID, stepname, procstepname, to
DD name.  SDSF then allocates a generated DD name to that spool file.
An example reads from that to EXECIO DISKR (STEM.  I modified it to
LINKMVS IEBGENER after I overrode SYSUT1 to the name SDSF generated.

-- gil