On 11 May 2018 at 15:02, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:

> Isn't a big obstacle on z/OS the fact that TSO doesn't have a generalized
> interface for invoking a "command" in an arbitrary scripting language and
> then providing it with a command processing (and/or ISPF) interface?

Yes. This is particularly a problem if you want to run APF authorized
things from within your scripting language environment.

> What if the TSO command interface that handles REXX/CLIST could recognize
> shebangs to support other script processors, which would be local-spawned
> in the TSO address space and be given a TSO Command processing environment?

Well it's almost there, with some annoyances that IBM could fix if
they wanted to. The interface designed to support compiled REXX looks
for a magic string at a fixed position in the first record, and will
then invoke a routine named later in that same record. So it *should*
be possible for the language to not be REXX, if it can get past a few
basic syntax things.

This is described in some pretty good detail in the TSO/E
Customization book. It even has its own chapter (43 currently).

You can see this in (failing) action by creating an "exec" with a
first line like
    EXECPROCBADMODUL
where the "EXECPROC" starts in column 5. Then run it and you'll get an
interesting message.

> Who knows, maybe get crazy and allow TSO command/script processing from
> zFS.   With mixed case > 8 characters!

When you say "from zFS", I'm not quite sure what you mean. You want to type
/u/kirk/myscript
and have it look for the shebang and call the appropriate runtime?
Hmmm... I think that could be accomplished with a drop-in modification
to TSO's IKJSCAN. But of course you're going to want it to work from
ISPF and such, so not quite so simple.

Tony H.