FWIW, we are currently defined as 3590, PARTIALTAPE=MARKFULL and recycle
percentage at 35%
We use FDRABR for DR volume/incremental backups and DFHSM for application
dataset backup and migration. I am not aware of any multi-volume tape datasets.
But, since I also haven't cared to look for such lately, I won’t say the none
exist.

My point was that DFHSM, CA-1 are managing a fairly large count of tapes with
no apparent problems.