From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:30 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [External] Old School Maintenance Philosophy -- Never ACCEPT?

Pre-E SMP consisted entirely of PDS--PO because PDSE had not been invented yet.
It was, as someone pointed out, a sort of elaborate RYO data base. In those
days of molasses-inspired SLED, clunky CPUs, limited expensive central memory,
and a far less sophisticated MVS than we enjoy today, a 'standard' SMP install
could take forever. Hours. Days. Longer even than the MTTF of the
infrastructure itself.

So SMP provided an alternative run mode. I forget the terminology, but it
entailed reading entire PDS directories into memory, updating data in memory as
required, then writing entire directories back out in one massive operation.
The result was a far shorter elapsed time than the standard mode. Unless.
Unless something went wrong, especially during the write-out phase. Could be a
program failure; DASD error; power hiccup, spilled cup of coffee. At that point
the entire SMP data base was trashed. So you restored the whole SMP environment
and started over.

With or without ACCEPT, modern SMP/E is a miracle.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company