On Thu, 24 May 2018 20:03:55 -0500, Edward Gould wrote:

>Our big boss was trying to show the board how he tried to save money. They
>sort of forced him into getting STC (now STK) tape drives. All of a sudden
>some of our jobs were getting S237 (block count did not match trailers), STC
>said we had bum tapes, we went through all sort of shenanigans to prove they
>weren’t. I had to write a program that counted blocks and compare it the tapes
>count. The entire mess ended up with STC getting kicked out and IBM drives
>were brought back in. Of course never a S237 with a IBM drive. Our tape
>library while not super large it was large and finally management finally
>figured it out in order to get good people you had to hire/pay for them.

You couldn't just discard the tape if the data were precious.

Just curious: did it write blocks and not count them or count blocks and not
write them?
(Full disclosure: I may have been a StorageTek (AKA STC, AKA STK) employee
around
that time.)

I once read a tape, all CDC equipment; no IBM nor StorageTek and discovered
an entire block missing with no error reported.  I visually inspected the first
few
meters of the tape and noticed a transverse crease.  I assume that wafted
exactly one block over the read heads.  Score -1 for NRZI.

-- gil