From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 12:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [External] Re: Comments in IDCAMS statements

 Ah... continuation character... that's what I forgot.

I'm not sure this scheme is entirely sensible, nor is it documented
correctly, but at least the mystery is resolved.

sas

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Pommier, Rex <rpomm...@sfgmembers.com>
wrote:

> You are correct.
>
> Simple job:
>
> //STEP1  EXEC  PGM=IDCAMS
> //SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=*
> //SYSIN   DD  *
>   /*  THIS IS A COMMENT  */
>   /*  SO IS THIS         */
> /*
> //STEP2  EXEC  PGM=IDCAMS
> //SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=*
> //SYSIN   DD  *
>   /*  THIS IS A COMMENT  -
>       SO IS THIS         */
> /*
>
> Output:
>
> IDCAMS  SYSTEM SERVICES
>
>   /*  THIS IS A COMMENT  */
>   /*  SO IS THIS         */
> IDC0002I IDCAMS PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 0
> IDCAMS  SYSTEM SERVICES
>
>   /*  THIS IS A COMMENT  -
>       SO IS THIS         */
> IDC0002I IDCAMS PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 0
>
> No complaints about a multi-line comment.
>
> Rex

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.